Public Safety: Police Department
The mission of the Port St. Joe Police Department is to provide competent and courteous service to all citizens of the community in their homes and places of business, while working toward establishing a community environment characterized by both physical safety and personal freedom.
We are committed to providing superior customer service while developing partnerships with community, civic, and business members to help identify and solve problems. Our community's safety and enhanced quality of life are our highest priorities.
Matt Herring is your Chief of Police
Matt Herring was appointed Chief of Police effective January 1, 2015. Chief Herring is a 1991 graduate of Port St Joe High School and a graduate of Florida State University where he obtained a degree in Criminology. Previously, Chief Herring was employed as a Special Agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for fifteen years. The past two years he was employed by the Gulf County Sheriff's Office and served as the supervisor of the Narcotics Unit. Chief Herring is married and has two children. Chief Herring is very active in his church and the community.
Matt Herring, Chief of Police - (850) 229-8265 x 117.
For Emergencies, please dial 911
Fundamental Values of the Port St Joe Police Department
Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
- Professionalism - Our Department believes that this community deserves the best and we strive to achieve this with professional and personal excellence. All of our actions are guided by the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics.
- Service - Our Department is dedicated to serving our community, its citizens, and all visitors to our city.
- Justice - Our Department believes in the right to equal and fair treatment under the law.
- As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind, to safeguard lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation and the peaceful against violence or disorder and to respect the Constitutional Rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.
- I will keep my private life unsoiled as an example to all, maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule, develop self-restraint and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life. I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my Department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided in me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
- I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendship to influence my decision. With no compromise for crime and relentless prosecution of criminal, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear of favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.
- I recognize the bade of my office as the symbol of public faith and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...Law Enforcement.
Public Safety: Fire DepartmentPort St. Joe Volunteer Fire Department is staffed by 17 dedicated fire fighters. Firefighters are all trained in First Responder and CPR. The unit includes two Fire Fighters II and five Fire Fighters I, with the remaining members considered Fire Fighters Non-Structure.
The department has two Class A Pumpers, one 75 foot Ladder Pumper, one Brush Unit and one Rescue Unit.
The unit is proud to serve their neighbors in Port St. Joe and Gulf County.
John Ford, Fire Chief - (850) 229-2770
For Emergencies, please dial 911