Starting a New Business
Welcome to the City of Port St. Joe!
We are eager to help the small business owner, entrepreneur or corporate executive succeed in opening a business in our city and obtain the necessary local Business License required to operate within the City of Port St. Joe.
To conduct business in the City of Port St. Joe, you must have a city-issued business license, even for those businesses which are based from your home, online sales, vacation rentals, or out-of-state contractors. Occupational/business tax receipts are enforced by the City of Port St. Joe, Ordinance No. 1
. If you have general questions, please call 850-229-8261
, option 6.
There are a few questions to consider before completing a Business License Application:
- Is your business located within the City of Port St. Joe?
To confirm, visit the City of Port St. Joe Land Development and Regulations website.
- Is your business registered with the Florida Division of Corporations (SunBiz)?
If not, please visit https://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/ to register.
- Have you obtained an Employer Identification Number (EIN) also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number?
If not, information on applying for an EIN can be found at the IRS' website.
- Is a state license required to operate your business?
Examples of businesses requiring a state license include but are not limited to: professional services, restaurants, auto dealers, short-term rentals, vehicle repair and contractors. More information concerning requirements and applying for a state license can be found at the Florida Department of State website.
Applicants can obtain a City of Port St. Joe business license application online
or in person at City Hall, 305 Cecil G. Costin, Sr. Blvd. at the front desk.
Business License Application Checklist
This checklist contains information to be submitted when applying for a Business License in the City of Port St. Joe.
- Completed Business License Application
- Location Lease Agreement
- Proof of registration with "active status" from the Florida Division of Corporations (SunBiz)
- Proof of fictitious name registration and/or articles of incorporation from the Florida Division of Corporations
- Proof of required State License(s), if applicable
- Proof of State Exemption from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, if applicable
- Proof of Zoning Approval(s), if applicable
- Proof of Sign Permit(s), if applicable
- Fee payment method (Methods accepted: Cash, Check, VISA, MasterCard, and Discover) Depending on your business type, an inspection of the property may be necessary.
The fees vary for a business license. The average cost is $25.00 - $50.00. Some state exemptions apply to certain business types.
Renewal of Business License
All of the City of Port St. Joe's businesses are required to have a current Business License, which expire on September 30 of each year. Renewals will be mailed out August 01 of each year and will be due by September 30. To renew, mail payment to P.O. Box 278, Port St. Joe, FL 32457, pay in-person at City Hall, 305 Cecil G. Costin, Sr. Blvd., or call Utilities at 850-229-8261, option 1. Do not include your payment with your utility bill. Please call Accounts Payable (850) 229-8261, option 6 if you have any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The business will be located within the City of Port St. Joe, but the customers
are in the County. Do I still need a business license? Yes.
- Does the business need a license from the City if it already has a license with
Gulf County? Yes, if you are conducting, operating, or managing any business within
the city limits.
- What happens if the business was recently purchased, moved or name was
changed? A business license change/cancel form will need to be completed and you
will need to provide proof from the Division of Corporations of the changes.
- How long will it take to get my license? Approximately 5 - 10 days from the time
the completed application packet is received.
- The business manages properties in several locations. How many licenses do I
need? Each license is issued for a specific location. A license is required for each place of business and for each separate classification at that location.
- Where are applications taken for a business license? Apply at the City of Port St.
Joe City Hall located at 305 Cecil G. Costin, Sr. Blvd. between the hours of 8:00 a.m.
to 5:00 p.m., or send the completed application packet by email to
- What if my business is run out of my home, mobile or online, is a license
really needed? Absolutely. Please see Ordinance No. 1, Sections 24 and 25.
- How much does it cost? Business licenses vary depending on the nature of the
business, the number of chairs, equipment, seating capacity and other factors. The
average cost is between $25.00 - $50.00.
- When does the business license expire? All licenses expire on September 30th of
each year regardless of when you purchased it.
Useful Contact Information